By Joan Donaldson
- Bread is composed of flour, yeast, sugar, salt and tepid water.
- Yeast is a minute plant composed of tiny cells.
- Yeast breaks sugar up into carbon dioxide which causes the bread to rise.
- Kneading distributes the gases and develops the gluten in the flour.
Basic Bread Recipe:
4 cups white flour
1 teaspoon sugar
0.5 teaspoon salt
1 cup warm water
1 sachet yeast (7g)
- Mix yeast, sugar and a little water and leave until it froths.
- Place flour and salt in basin and pour yeast mixture plus water into it mixing to a soft dough.
- Turn out on to a floured board and knead well for a few minutes.
- Place in a warm place until double the size.
- Knead again and shape as desired – let it rise for 30-40 minutes and cook in a moderate oven 30-40 minutes or until it gives a hollow sound when tapped.
- 0.5 wholemeal and 0.5 white flour
- 2 tablespoons bran
A Simple Recipe To Have Fun Making Bread
500g Plain White Flour
300ml Warm Water, 35 to 40deg C. (Approx 1 and a quarter cups)
1 teaspoon of Salt
1 teaspoon of Sugar
1 sachet of Dry Yeast (obtainable in packets of 5 from the grocers)
- Mix the yeast and sugar with a little of the warm water in a cup and allow to stand for a few minutes.
- Mix the flour and salt together in a big bowl.
- When the yeast is frothy, pour the rest of the water and then the yeast into the middle of dry flour.
- Stir well with a wooden spoon to make soft dough.
- Turn the dough onto a floured surface and knead it for about 10 minutes until it is smooth and will stretch without breaking.
- Put the dough back in a floury bowl and cover with a plastic bag, cling wrap or clean towel. Leave it somewhere until the dough has risen to twice its size. (approx 45 min)
- Knead the dough again for 2 minutes to knock all the gas out and then mould it into an oblong shaped dough piece.
- Place the dough piece on a greased oven tray and make 3 or 4 cuts across the top with a sharp knife. Cover and allow to stand until it has doubled in size.
- Heat oven to approx 220deg C and bake for 25 to 35 minutes. The loaf should sound hollow when tapped on the bottom when baked. Allow to cool on wire rack.
4 cups flour
1 sachet yeast (7g)
2 oz butter or marg
1.5 cup milk
0.5 cup sugar
0.5 cup mixed fruit
1 level teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon spice
- Mix yeast with 1 teaspoon sugar and a little water.
- Melt butter and add milk and beaten egg.
- Combine the above and mix into flour.
- Allow to rise until double in a warm place.
- Knock down and mix in spices, fruit, sugar and salt.
- Divide into small pieces and knead well.
- Place on a greased tray and allow to double in size before baking in a hot oven for 15 minutes.
- Glaze and return to oven for a few minutes.
Glaze: 2 tablespoons each of water and sugar, boiled until sugar dissolves.
- Cook in loaf tins as fruit loaf
- Omit fruit and spices and make dinner rolls or knots.